Coastal Hand Therapy fabricate custom-made splints (orthosis) within the clinic.
Creating custom-made splints requires advanced training, so that the splint is made to fit your individual hand and meet your specific needs. Splints have many different purposes, including:
- For protection of an injured joint, tendon or ligament.
- For pain management when a joint is arthritic.
- To allow healing post surgery or trauma.
- To improve functional use.
- To help correct joint deformity or stretch tissue or an contracted joint.
- To rebalance the hand.
- To stabilise hyper mobile joint.
- To allow return to sport or recreation.
Splints can fabricated from thermoplastic material, leather, neoprene or a combination of these. They are adjustable, removable and made-to-measure.